Managing your family’s health
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a challenge in today’s environment no matter what, but as a family, it can be easier if you choose to face the challenge together.
Here are some easy ways that you can help encourage your family to focus on healthy living:
- Make sure your family is up to date on their physical exams and vaccines.
- Set a family goal for health and wellness. Many people count steps with fitness watches and apps, which have competitive features built in as well.
- Eat at the table, not at the TV. This way, your body is attuned to what you are eating, as well as giving you an opportunity to focus on each other, instead of what is on the screen.
- Read nutrition labels with your kids to learn more about what you are consuming together, and let your kids help plan and prepare meals each week. Kids who are involved in meal preparation are much more likely to enjoy the meal. In the process, they will learn reading and math skills that will serve them well in school, and life skills that will help them eat healthfully for life.
- Include physical activity in your daily routine as a family. Limit screen time and make playtime fun with games of tag or pickup basketball. Make sure to include physical activities in your itinerary when you go on vacation as well- hiking or swimming are good options.
- Learn to communicate with each other about stressful or anxiety-inducing situations, and look for healthy ways to decompress that do not involve food or alcohol. These methods could include exercising, taking a walk, listening to music, or quiet time.
These tips will help you achieve better health and set a positive example for your kids to grow into healthy adulthood as well.